Saturday, May 23, 2020

Avoiding Entropy


Greetings All,
I haven't posted for a while because I have no dog with which to hang :(
but I'm looking in earnest and hoping to have a new member of the family and hiking partner soon :) 
I have been working lots on garden projects, spreading more mulch, fixing and adding fencing, along with general clean up and organizing of everything within our ½ acre of brush and trouble.

What's on the nightstand:
I just started A Woman of No Importance by Sonia Purnell 
The story of Virginia Hall, an American spy who worked undercover in France during World War II for Britain’s Special Operations Executive (SOE). I devoured the first 50 pages this morning. We'll be discussing it next Tuesday at evening at the Eagle Harbor Mystery Book Discussion Group.
One of my recent faves is Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry
A lyrical stroll down memory lane by two, socially challenged, low-level enforcers for an Irish crime interest as they wait for the arrival of a friend on the ferry from Tangiers.
In audiobook format:
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
A tell-all, sometimes shocking, always frank and very funny tale of Chef Bourdain's career in the restaurant kitchens of Manhattan. He pulls no punches as he bares his soul with tales from nearly 3 decades of creating haute cuisine while pursuing new nadirs of debauchery.

What's on the screen:
Messiah (Netflix)
A ten-part story about a burned out CIA officer looking into a Middle-Eastern man whose followers believe him to be the Second Coming of Christ. Lots of twists and turns :)
NCIS (Netflix)
Full disclosure, I never watched this as a Prime Time series in spite of its 17 seasons. Started watching late last fall and now I can't look away. I'm not saying it's not-to-be-missed and in spite of the somewhat pedantic scripts with a fair amount of formulaic, predictable plot, I have grown to truly enjoy the series regulars. Which presents a bit of a challenge as many of them leave the show eventually. The team is a bit quirky, as are the mysteries they solve, but I find them endearing, even in the 14th season when they jettison one of my favorite characters to introduce a team member whom I find quite challenging.

What's in the headphones:
Mostly I've been listening to local, FM radio. We're fortunate to have several great, independent radio stations in our region. And I've been listening to a lot of 70s Rock via Spotify, e.g., Derek & the Dominos, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, etc.

Be well and stay safe.
More to follow...

ek

No comments:

Post a Comment